Monday, August 13, 2007

Paint or Write and Summer Break

Like probably most people who live in Chicago, which has a short summer, I try enjoy the outdoors more and change my schedule and engage in other activities, aside from my usual routine throughout the rest of the year. So, I've taken a break from writing and posting on this blog.

I was attending two 5-week long classes in figure painting, which just finished last Saturday, August 11, and I was working on paintings at home independently as well. Some of my recent work is posted on this blog page. Today, I was accepted into the continuing education program at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago for a certificate in painting. The summer courses I took were taken by me to become familiar with the program and see if I like it.

The certification program involves a student taking at least 10 noncredit courses in painting. This program is designed as an evening and weekend program for adults who already have a degree and are working, and who would like to learn about the art of painting without entering a degree or credit program. I may find myself hard pressed to write here on a regular basis, so I need to change the format of this blog. It will become more a blog listing material online that I find noteworthy with some of my brief commentary.

COMMENT ON THE PHOTOS ABOVE: The building in the right photo is the Art Institute which faces west on Michigan Avenue. The school itself, or more properly speaking one of the several buildings owned and used by the school, is a separate 3-story high modernist building, built in 1977, connected to the back or east side of the Art Institute. It is on Columbus Drive and faces Grant Park and the lake just east of it.

No comments: