Monday, March 26, 2007

Comment on Readings by Shakar, Levine, Wycoff

Tonight I went to a reading at The Book Cellar, 4736-38 N. Lincoln Avenue, a relatively new bookstore, only three years old. As expected, since it's a Monday night, it's a small, independent, neighborhood bookstore, and all writers are still young and relatively unknown, though the star of Alex Shakar seems on the rise. The audience consisted of a handful of people. This was my first visit to this bookstore, and it's quite an impressive store: the elegance of the black, tall bookshelves, the coffee-wine-beer seating area.

What in the world am I doing there? Well, I work from home, and it begins to get on your nerves and makes you feel isolated and lonely, so I make a point of going out in the evenings. Also, I hadn't been to a reading for a while, and I'd stopped going to my regular Monday night figure drawing class.

Let me begin by saying that the second reader, Alex Shakar, entertained me most of all, dazzling me with his long, periodic sentences, brimming with humorous observation and word play, from his novel in progress about a feckless business man who turns to religion and out of body experiences for solace and stability in his life. I’m looking forward to reading it when it is published.


Shakar seems to be in his early or mid-thirties, looked stylishly scruffy, letting his brown beard grow out a bit, and his most striking features are his large eyes. He read with some verve and animation, more so than the other two readers, but their prose didn't lend itself to such a reading tone.

Shakar has a novel and a collection of short stories to his credit, and I ordered his novel in hardcover, The Savage Girl (2001), for 1 cent online plus the shipping fee $3.49 through Amazon. The new paperback edition was there on sale, which is a sign of success, but its print size is so small and compressed that I balked at the notion of reading it. For, in principal, unless no other edition is available, I've stopped reading small print books without much space between the lines and small margins. That's the way most books used to be published in the former Soviet Union with hardly enough room to even make a check mark, much less fit a readable phrase in the margin.

Lest my reader assume I'm a stingy and impoverished bookworm, let me add that I did by copies of the books by Stacey Levine, Frances Johnson (a novel) in a small, striking paperback copy printed by Clearcut Press and Corrina Wycoff ‘s O Street: Stories published by the college sponsored journal Other Voices.

Levine hails from Seattle, Washington; she has fair skin and short red hair. Levine read from her novel comic passages about a family that is too clutching and possessive of its newlyweds and already planning their grandchild's life. This sounds all too familiar and close to comfort for me: I lived longer with my parents than I should have, and could have stayed longer and have even been invited back so that I could save money by not paying them rent. But I'd pay heavily in frayed nerves and stunted personal development.

Corrina Wycoff lives near Seattle and studied at the University of Illinois at Chicago, where I studied English and Slavic literature. She has a fine, sculpted cheekbones and chin, framed in wavy, short hair style. Wycoff read a passage from her stories; again the tone was comedic, though dark, about a narrator's recollections of childhood, describing tragic incidents from a child who has become inured to such incidents that surround her.

Well, my fiction reading is cut out for me. Eventually, though not in the too distant future, I would like to finish reading all three authors books and comment on them briefly.

For more about the reading see my comment.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I talked briefly with the writers after the reading and got the women to sign their books that I bought for me. I asked Wycoff how long she had been working on her book, and she not too happily replied 10 years; I commiserated with her, explaining that I too have been working on a book of essays, which I plan to publish soon; well, it's been on the back burner for around four or five years. She said that her kid and teaching made it difficult to finish. What's my excuse? I ask myself, well, got involved in various activities and work...

I also told Shakar I really liked his book but will buy a copy with larger print, as I asked Levine to whom he was sitting and talking. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but I had to explain, I thought, why I was buying Levine's book but not his. I also told Shakar that his character in his new novel reminded me of Ed Wood in his wing it, I'll do anything approach to business and life.

Well, I had no notepad with me, so in order to say anything more, I'll have to read these author's books and post my reviews some time soon. If I can, I usually like to meet the writer behind the story in person; it's one of the benefits of living in this Midwest metropolis. And if nothing else was accomplished tonight, I'm doing my part in showing support for what I like, books and writers, and for small, independent bookstores, which invite them for readings.

When I was buying the books I asked the young lady at the counter about events at the store and learned there was a reading group, which meets on the first Wednesday of every month. Next month, the book to discuss will be Sherman Alexie's 10 Little Indians (2003) which I ordered a hardcover copy online and plan to return to Book Cellars on Wednesday, April 4.